An air fryer is an appliance that uses hot air to cook food rather than heat from an open fire or other heat sources. It is typically used in kitchens to cook foods like juicy and crispy chicken thighs, french fries or vegetables, but it can also be used to prepare your favorite dishes (like keto recipes etc.), especially if you love chicken thighs for dinner!
Cooking chicken in air fryer isn’t uncommon. However, air fryer chicken thighs are a great alternative to traditional fried chicken. They make extra crispy skin but are still juicy and tender. Continue reading to learn more about cooking this delicious, gluten free, and healthy meal, as well as a bunch of air fryer recipes.
Air Fryers vs. Deep Fryers
Cooking in a deep fryer allows you to do more than just fry fries. French fries, potato chips, and even chicken wings and thighs are just a few examples of the many foods that may be prepared using them. A whole turkey can be cooked in some deep fryers.
Food is cooked in a matter of seconds in extremely hot oil. Typically, an air fryer basket is used to hold the meal before it is put into a vat of boiling oil.
All sides of the food get cooked at once since the hot oil is such a good heat conductor, and the food is buried in it. When compared to methods like pan frying, this saves time because both sides can be cooked simultaneously.
The Maillard reaction occurs when foods are fried at high temperatures. A golden brown color is achieved through a chemical reaction that denatures carbohydrates and proteins on the surface of the meal.
Deep frying creates a crunchy exterior while keeping the food juicy on the inside by evaporating all the moisture from the exterior of the meal before frying.
The food is cooked in an air fryer by being exposed to extremely hot air. In a deep fryer, hot air is circulated by a fan located above the heating element. A deep fryer-style basket holds the meal, surrounded by air.
The air is recirculated through the meal by bouncing off the air fryer’s base. The heated air cooks the food evenly on all sides and causes the Maillard reaction, which creates a brown and perfectly crispy crust.
To properly deep fry, you need to use enough oil to cover the meal fully. Foods cooked in an air fryer only need a tablespoon of oil, if any at all. Deep frying allows oil to permeate the food more thoroughly, creating a crispier and thicker exterior.
Some dishes may be drier than usual after being cooked in an air fryer oven because of the lack of oil used. Only frying meals should be done in a deep fryer. You’re not limited to frying in an air fryer; you can even grill with it. A dessert can be baked in an air fryer.
With an air fryer, you can cook with very little oil using a cooking spray and still get absolutely delicious results, and the appliance is much simpler to clean than a deep fryer. Additionally, getting rid of a lot of used cooking oil can be a pain.
Best Air Fryer Chicken Thighs Recipe
In less than twenty minutes, you can have juicy, tender air fried chicken thighs with the crispiest skin you’ve ever had. You may serve these air fryer chicken thigh recipe as they are, with just a light dusting of seasoning, or you can give this fast and simple dish an extra kick by tossing them while they are still hot in your preferred buffalo or bbq sauce. Read more if you’re interested with a good five stars air fryer recipe!
The Ingredients Needed For Air Fried Chicken Thighs
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic (or garlic powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- four thighs (about 2 pounds)
- bone-in, skin on, or excess skin
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
How to Cook Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- In a separate bowl, start with the dry ingredients and combine the onion powder, granulated garlic, paprika, thyme, and salt and pepper according to flavor in 1/2 teaspoon increments. Mix well. After drying it off, transfer the chicken to a bowl of medium size. After adding half of the spice mixture and the olive oil, blend everything by giving it a shake for a perfect balance.
- Flour should be added to the remaining spice mixture, stirring it to blend everything. Put the flour mixture in a big bag that can be sealed back up again. Put the chicken thighs that have been seasoned into the bag, ensure the bag is sealed properly, then toss the chicken about until it is completely covered in the flour.
- Preheat an air fryer with a capacity of 3.5 quarts to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Add the chicken thighs in the basket of the air fryer with the skin-side facing down and make sure they are not touching. During the last half of the cooking process, turn the chicken over so the skin faces up. Continue cooking for approximately 18 minutes, or until an immediate thermometer put into the thickest section (avoiding the bone) registers 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Let the air fryer chicken thighs rest for 5 minutes before eating.
Tips for Making Crispy Chicken
Cut your chicken properly
Use a whole chicken and break it up into white and dark flesh so that everyone is happy. Whether you butcher the chicken yourself or purchase it already prepared, it is to your advantage to divide each breast into at least three chicken pieces. The cooking time for smaller breast portions will be similar to that of the thighs and legs. Large chicken breasts can become golden and crunchy on the outside before they are cooked thoroughly on the inside, so sizing the breasts down will help prevent overcooking.
Brine or marinade keeps the fried chicken juicy. Most fried chicken experts prefer a buttermilk marinade, while others stand by a sugar-salt-spices brine. Try a buttermilk brine. 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup kosher salt, and smoked paprika are dissolved in 1 cup of water. Complete the buttermilk brine with 3-4 cups of buttermilk. Refrigerate the chicken in the brine overnight before continuing.
3. Don’t let paper towel absorb the juice
Don’t waste your hard work in making perfectly golden fried chicken by putting it on a bed of paper towels. This can lead to the chicken steaming, which can remove any crispiness. Swap the baking sheet with a wire rack. Place the cooked meat on a wire rack as it is done. That’s how you make this easy recipe, perfectly done chicken rated 5 stars!
To prevent your masterpiece from being ruined, you can first let the chicken cool while the oil drips down the rack.
What are your favorite air fryer chicken thighs recipes? Read more for other chicken recipes and air fryer chicken thigh meals from Family Hype today!
Air Fryer Chicken Thigh
Frequently Asked Questions
Last Updated on November 15, 2022 by Jean Annerie HernandezDISCLAIMER (IMPORTANT): This information (including all text, images, audio, or other formats on FamilyHype.com) is not intended to be a substitute for informed professional advice, diagnosis, endorsement or treatment. You should not take any action or avoid taking action without consulting a qualified professional. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions about medical conditions. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking advice or treatment because of something you have read here a FamilyHype.com.