Probably the first thing that springs to mind when you think about egg rolls is Chinese cuisine. However, it is not the only kind of cooking that makes use of this fried food as a primary component. The fact that this food can be so readily customized to match any taste profile could have been one of the many reasons why they are so popular. In Chinese, these bite-sized delicacies are often known as “spring roll” or “louchi gourd,” although their potential applications are almost endless due to their adaptability. Keeping this in mind, we are going to demonstrate how to prepare a variant of these little dumplings using a convection oven so that you may serve them at your Thanksgiving meal this year.
What Are Thanksgiving Egg Rolls?
Egg rolls are a form of appetizer that is often prepared in a Chinese manner. They consist of wrappers (a wrapper of dough that has been seasoned), which are then filled with a variety of delicious ingredients. Wrappers may be created using a simple batter that consists of egg and flour. This is the most basic kind of wrapper. After that, the dough is shaped into a long roll, after which it is divided into individual pieces. These wrappers are filled with fillings, such as meat, seafood, or even Vegan versions. They are cooked until it attains a golden-brown color.
Wondering what’s the difference between egg roll wrappers and spring roll wrappers? The former are typically larger and thicker while the latter do not usually contain eggs and are mostly smoother and thinner. Some recipes even use an additional rice wrapper. To add a twist, you can also make air fryer rice paper as an addition to your recipe.
Traditionally, they are served as an appetizer in Chinese culture. However, they are also versatile enough to be used as a snack, a main course, or even a side dish. You may prepare these delicious snack meals at home, or you can purchase them at local food fairs and festivals. Wrappers may be purchased ready-made, however doing so is not required.
Although deep fried recipes are tasty, we will make the healthier version using the air fryer. You may also create your own version. You can even make air fryer egg bites at home.
Making EggRolls With A Convection Oven: Step-by-Step Instructions
- Combine all the ingredients for your filling in a large bowl, then put it aside for 5 minutes. As soon as the batter is done, it is time to start shaping the wrappers. To do this, we will begin by rolling the dough into 18 individual portions. Before we begin shaping the wraps, we will first use some flour to gently dust the surface of the work surface. After that, we are going to take each ball of dough and gently coat it with flour as well. By flouring the dough, not only are we able to easily remove the wraps that have been made from the surface, but we are also able to prevent the dough from clinging to the surface.
- The next step is to roll out the dough into a rectangle measuring 5 inches by 7 inches by using our fingers to do so carefully. This ensures that the wrappers are of equal size and provide a shape that is consistent throughout. Working with one ball of dough at a time, we will set the dough on the work area, and then, with a tiny round cookie cutter, we will cut out circles from the dough measuring 18 1/2 inches.
- The next step is to put a little pinch of the filling in the middle of each circle, and then fold the dough over to make a wrapper in the shape of a half-circle. This procedure will be carried out once more with each of the remaining balls of dough and portions of filling until all 18 wrappers have been finished.
- Do not wrap the ingredients in the excess paper since you do not want to squish the contents within the package. To begin the process of developing the recipe for the convection oven, we will first put a half teaspoon of sesame oil into the air fryer basket. Lay them in the basket and fry it for two minutes, or until it has a golden-brown color. Then, give the opposite side of the wrapper an extra minute of cooking time after you have flipped it over.
Tips And Guides For The Convection Oven
- When utilizing your convection oven, it is recommended that you try to make use of an oil of a high-quality. The finest oils to use are those that have a high smoke point.
- While using oil in a convection oven is not required to cook food, using it does impart a delectable taste to whatever you’re cooking. For your convection oven to work correctly, oil is also a necessary component. Changing the oil in your fryer can quickly address any problems that it may be having.
- Ensure that there is sufficient space between the food and the walls of the convection oven. This will enable air to flow and prevent the food from clinging to the walls.
- It’s possible that you’ll need to modify the amount of time you spend preparing Asian dishes. Depending on their size, certain ingredients may need to be cooked for a longer period than others.
Let’s Make EggRolls From Leftovers!
Thanksgiving is synonymous with plenty of foods. Most of the time, this event leads to many leftovers in your airtight container stocked up inside the refrigerator. Making a new dish using these leftover ingredients is indeed an impressive idea. Do you have turkey left from your Thanksgiving dinner? Chop your leftover turkey into small pieces. Gather the chopped turkey and make your own version of leftover Thanksgiving egg rolls. Your turkey stuffing egg rolls may be made from the leftover stuffing, but they make not just an easy but also a very tasty recipe to eat.
Let’s create our turkey egg rolls from the Thanksgiving leftovers. We will need the following ingredients:
- mashed potatoes
- vegetables (green beans, sweet potatoes, etc.)
- cranberry sauce (made from sugar, orange juice, frozen strawberries, and frozen cranberries)
- turkey leftovers
The mixture of whisked egg and water for egg wash will create a shiny, brown crust to your turkey recipe. This step mostly appears in many pastry and bread recipes too.
Step-By-Step Procedure To Make The Yummy Thanksgiving Leftover Recipe
To do this simple recipe, follow the following steps:
- Mix the leftovers and the vegetables in the bowl.
- Spoon a little mixture into the wrapper.
- Dip your finger in the egg wash and run along to the edges of the wrapper.
- To wrap, lift the wrapper (with the filling) nearest you and start rolling. Fold the left and right corners of the wrapper. Continue rolling until them until a tight cylinder is formed. Do the same procedure for the rest of the wrapper and the filling. Do not forget to fold the left and right corners of the wrapper. This process will prevent the keep the filling inside it during cooking.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a little nonstick oil on your air fryer basket. Place your turkey egg rolls in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry it for 8 minutes. Do not forget to flip them halfway through the cooking time.
- Serve your healthy and delicious finished product from leftovers with cranberry sauce.
Making egg rolls is easy and fun, especially if we cook them in the air fryer. All it takes is just 30 minutes of prep time and 10 minutes cook time. Try our recipe and you will impress your family and friends. Just a warning, you might enjoy doing our recipes always instead of cooking them just at Thanksgiving. Feel free to add a twist to the recipe. You can browse Google for more leftover cooking ideas. Some articles have a recipe card at the bottom of the page. Create your own specialty. Happy cooking!
Air Frying Thanksgiving Egg Rolls
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Do You Put Egg Rolls In The Air fryer?
Can I Put Frozen Egg Rolls In The Air Fryer?
How Do You Keep Egg Rolls Crispy?
The following are the tips to keep them crispy:
- Keep your stuffing mixture dry before wrapping them. The more moist your ingredients are, the greater the chance that your wrappers will become soggy. You can do this by wrapping your vegetable fillings with a paper towel after washing them. You can also squeeze the moisture out of your meat after cooking. The more moisture is removed, the greater the chance that your wrapper will stay crispy.
- Use a wire rack to cool instead of a plate or paper towel. Putting them on the plate or paper towel results in the building up of oils at the base of the wrapper. If this happens, they will become only partially crispy. This is because the bottom of the wrapper will feel soggy due to oil accumulation.
- Do not pour over the dipping sauce if you plan to reheat the leftovers later. The rolls will absorb the moisture from the sauce and make your wrappers soggy.
How Long Does It Take To Preheat An Air Fryer?
How Long Do You Air Fry Pagoda Egg Rolls?
What Kind Of Oil Do You Cook Egg Rolls In?
For deep-frying, you can use peanut oil, corn oil, or canola oil for cooking your egg rolls under medium heat. Do not use olive oil since it has a low smoking point. However, for a healthier option, it is better to air-fry them. Air-fried egg rolls are healthier than deep-fried ones since it does not require much oil. Thus, it has less saturated fat. The egg rolls cooked in this amazing kitchen appliance contain a fraction of the saturated fat and calories found in deep-fried ones. So, if you are planning to cook your Thanksgiving leftover egg rolls, toss them in the air fryer basket instead of the frying pan.
Last Updated on April 13, 2023 by Rejie SalazarDISCLAIMER (IMPORTANT): This information (including all text, images, audio, or other formats on FamilyHype.com) is not intended to be a substitute for informed professional advice, diagnosis, endorsement or treatment. You should not take any action or avoid taking action without consulting a qualified professional. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions about medical conditions. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking advice or treatment because of something you have read here a FamilyHype.com.