There is quite a heated debate in the parenting community about GMO versus organic baby food, and which one is better for your child. The crunchier side claims that GMO baby foods and other products can lead to serious health risks and concerns and that these foods contain chemicals you can’t pronounce; therefore, they must be harmful.
The pro-GMO crowd, meanwhile, claims that genetically engineered ingredients are perfectly safe and that organic infant food is just a marketing ploy designed with fear in mind.
If you are one of the parents that can’t seem to figure out which infant formula to choose for your baby, this article will give you a better understanding of what you need to know about non GMO vs regular formula. Furthermore, we also included a list of the best non-GMO infant formula from Amazon so you can see what they offer and what verified users think about them.
- The Infant formula from Love & Care is loaded with essential nutrients that can be found on breast milk that helps improve the baby’s overall health as well as enhance the eye and brain development.
- It is also Non-GMO and Kosher certified, it is also iron-fortified and rich with prebiotics.
- The Formula has meet the FDA standards and sage for your baby.
- The Non-GMO infant formula from Earth’s best is soy plant base, it is easy to digest and it is rich with complete nutrition for your infant’s first year.
- It contains vitamins and minerals, carbohydrates, high quality protein and essential fatty acids for eye and brain growth.
- It Lactose free and ideal for baby with lactose intolerance.
Watching this debate unfold, does make you a little weary with what you’re feeding your baby. If you have to use infant formula, should you go with the GMO or non-GMO infant formula? We’re here to make the decision much easier for you.
What Are GMOs?
Before choosing between the non-GMO vs. regular infant formula, let us discuss GMOs first. GMO stands for a genetically modified organism. These are foods with altered genes, through genetic engineering, to produce better results. Some foods are changed to be more resistant to pests without the need for pesticides. Other foods are altered so that they grow bigger. Some apples are modified so that they never go brown.
According to the United States Academy of Sciences, modifying a plant’s genes isn’t anything new. Farmers have been breeding plants in a way that thins out the undesirable traits for many years. Look at the banana, for instance. An unaltered banana is a lot different than the banana we know. It’s filled with seeds, smaller, and not as easy to open up.
The United States drug administration and the National Acadamy of Sciences work together to provide genetically engineered baby food products that are safe for babies. But even with this, the speed in which genetically altered food has been going has had some parents wanting to slow down and make sure these foods underwent testing, and thus they go with foods that are more organic and grown in a more “natural” way.
Diving Deeper With Non-GMO Formula Vs Regular Formula: Which Is Better?
When dealing with baby formula, a formula that is of natural ingredients is considered non-GMO, but it doesn’t have to be fully organic infant food to get that label. It just needs no modified ingredients. You may be wondering what elements are altered in baby formula. What is this non-GMO vs. regular formula?
In an infant formula that is from cows, are they modifying cows in a lab to produce more milk? Not necessarily? Organic infant milk means that they fed cows with food that isn’t genetically engineered. We are aware that what we eat affects our milk, so many parents want a formula from animals that ate the best ingredients possible.
Let’s dive deeper into this concept now.
We’ll breakdown the pros and cons of non-GMO formula.
- It’s made from high-quality ingredients that you can trace more. Usually, the ingredients list is something you can pronounce, giving more parents peace of mind. Unpronounceable ingredients don’t mean the product isn’t safe, but parents like having ingredients they can pronounce.
- Non-GMO foods tend to come from more high-quality and ethical sources as well. For example, cows that are raised in open fields where the animals feed on grass as opposed to what they eat in a factory. While this isn’t true all the time, it is in many cases.
- It has no artificial or genetically engineered ingredients whatsoever. They’re all-natural, high-quality ingredients. For some parents, they don’t want anything harmful in the baby’s tummy. Even if the ingredients are safe for most, some artificial ingredients can indeed hurt a baby’s tummy.
- The non-GMO infant formula and organic infant formulas go through a rigorous process to show that the ingredients come from where they say they do.
- The biggest con of non-GMO formula is that it’s expensive. When you have a kid, it’s a price to pay already, and shopping organic or non-GMO is another cost added on to that. Because of that, many parents stick with regular infant formula.
With that said, online shopping does make it easier to find a non-GMO formula that won’t break the bank. Also, buying the baby formula in bulk using online shopping or stores like Costco can help you get more for less.
- The regular infant formula is more readily available. Some non-genetically engineered formulas are sold in specialty stores, or online. When you’re out of infant formula, you need it right now, and you’re guaranteed to find the regular formula in any store.
- The regular baby formula is also the more affordable option, giving you more for less. Non-GMO baby formulas tend to cost more, and it offers less per container. Also, regular baby formula may last longer due to having more preservatives.
- The regular infant formula is safe for your baby in most cases, even if it isn’t organic infant formula.
- For sensitive tummies, the regular infant formula may irritate the baby because of the genetically engineered ingredients.
- You don’t know where some of the ingredients came from.
Which Is Better Formula Between Non-GMO vs Regular?
There is no right answer to this one. Both genetically engineered and non-genetically engineered infant formulas have pros and cons. If you have the money, buying non-genetically engineered infant formula gives you an infant formula with more wholesome ingredients and less of a chance of irritating your baby. It is safe to remember here that non-GMO does not necessarily mean organic infant food.
However, if you’re on a shoestring budget, the regular formula will do fine for the most part.
In all actuality, breastfeeding your breast milk baby is the way to go as opposed to formula feeding, but we do understand that it’s not for everyone. However, if breastfeeding and breast milk are on the table, give it a try.
One of the best things for a parent is to find a happy medium between breastfeeding and formula feeding. Going to non-GMO ingredient infant formula all the time is expensive, and may not necessarily be better for your child. You may end up losing sleep over worrying about what you’re putting in your mouth. However, in a case such as baby formula, maybe non-genetically engineered ingredients are the way to go.
If you’re still unsure, going to a doctor is the best move. If a genetically engineered formula is hurting your baby’s stomach, perhaps there is another reason for that, and you can find safe baby food that doesn’t cost too much.
Feeding your baby is difficult, but by doing a bit of research, you can find the right baby food products for you. As we said before, there isn’t too much of a difference between GMO infant formula and non-GMO infant formula, but many parents may feel better with an option that hasn’t been genetically engineered. In this Non-GMO vs regular formula comparison, there is no right answer. However, in the end, it’s up to you, and you have the final say of the products and services you want to use with your baby.
What does non-GMO mean in a formula?
Infant or Baby formulas labeled as “Non-GMO” do not include genetically engineered ingredients.
Does baby formula have GMO?
The most known baby formula is from different kinds of soy and corn. There are some baby formulas that will contain genetically engineered ingredients.
What is GMO in formula milk?
The non-GMO infant formulas are produced by using components that have not genetically engineered.
Is Enfamil GMO-free?
The infant formula brands Enfamil recently introduced Enfagrow PREMIUM and Enfamil PREMIUM baby formulas, which are all non-GMO or not genetically engineered and they will be labeled non-GMO.
What is Non-GMO Similac?
Similac infant formulas have a unique blend of Lutein, DHA, and Vitamin E to help support the baby’s brain and eye development. It is the first leading infant formula brand labeled non-GMO for its baby food products.
Does Enfamil infant have GMO?
Enfamil is exposing American and Canadian babies to potential grave health risks by using genetically modified ingredients in their infant formulas. This is referred to as GMOs or genetically modified organisms which are then used to create genetically engineered ingredients that can be found in food products.
Disclaimer: FamilyHype.com (Family Hype & FamilyHype) is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Last Updated on September 10, 2021 by Kathleen HinganDISCLAIMER (IMPORTANT): This information (including all text, images, audio, or other formats on FamilyHype.com) is not intended to be a substitute for informed professional advice, diagnosis, endorsement or treatment. You should not take any action or avoid taking action without consulting a qualified professional. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions about medical conditions. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking advice or treatment because of something you have read here a FamilyHype.com.